Watch out, strawberry blonde is back. And we’re here with everything you need to know about how to get the look at home.
Blonde hair is taking over this year and with so many tones, color variations, hair dyes, styles and hues to choose from, it’s not hard to see why.
From ash blonde, highlights, ombre and balayage, to platinum, caramel and rose gold, you can change things up and add a bit of spice and excitement as often as your blonde hair desires.
One such color that’s storming up the color trend charts for this year is Strawberry blonde. Red hair colors are always hot and this soft pink hue is a delicious addition.
But can everybody pull off this shade? What tone should you go for if you have dark hair or light hair? How do you dye my own hair at home without ruining it? We’re going to answer all these questions today. Read on!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is strawberry blonde hair?
- 2 Can I get strawberry blonde hair at home?
- 3 Which is the best strawberry blonde hair dye?
- 4 Best Strawberry Blonde Box Dyes at a glance.
- 5 TOP PICK!
- 6 Clairol Nice’ n Easy Crème, Light Auburn
- 7 How to get strawberry blonde hair at home.
- 8 Watch and learn: How to dye your hair strawberry blonde color at home.
- 9 Top hair dyeing tips!
- 10 How can I look after my strawberry blonde color?
- 11 Strawberry Blonde Hair FAQs
- 12 Is strawberry blonde hair red or blonde?
- 13 What’s the difference between strawberry blonde and ginger?
- 14 What’s the difference between strawberry blonde and rose gold?
- 15 What skin tones does strawberry blonde look good on?
- 16 Will strawberry blonde suit me?
- 17 What hair color suits me?
- 18 Does strawberry blonde hair color fade quickly?
- 19 Parting words.
What is strawberry blonde hair?
First things first – what does strawberry blonde mean exactly? Basically it’s reddish blonde with golden undertones.
This fruity color from the red hair family is a perfect blend of pale red or pink and warm, golden blonde shades.
It’s a tone blondes or redheads enjoy flirting with to add a bit of shimmering depth or lighten their natural color.
Wear it long or short, with wavy hair, sleek poker straight or curly haired styles – this hue rocks them all.
Check out the latest looks for ideas and inspiration.
Can I get strawberry blonde hair at home?
Good news dear friends! It is totally possible to dye your own hair this stunning shade of strawberry blonde at home!
But whether you’ll achieve dark or light shades of golden strawberry very much depends on the base color your hair is now.
If your current hair color is darker than blonde, you’ll need to lighten it first before you can achieve the strawberry look at home. Be careful! This will involve bleach. Read our guide on how to bleach your hair safely at home here.
You’ll need a blonde base to apply the golden strawberry reds and pinks that make this light color. If your hair is already a natural red hue such as auburn, go for more golden shades of red and pink to add depth and warmth to blonde hues.
We always suggest having a chat with your hairdresser if you’re thinking of trying out a new color or do. They’ll know if your hair color and condition is up for it.
If you’re au fait with home hair dyeing and just want to do it, there’s good news. There’s a variety of soft pink and red hair box dyes out there that will strawberryfy your locks.
Which is the best strawberry blonde hair dye?
It’s easy to get the on trend look at home using off the shelf hair dye.
Although, this sought-after shade is a tint of red or pink on blonde hair. So there’s no such thing as strawberry blonde dyes.
Once you have a blonde base hair color, you’ll need to find the right tone of red or pink box dyes to get the perfect hue.
Our TOP PICK is below but you can also read more about each one in our Best strawberry blonde hair dye reviews.
As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn on qualifying purchases.
Best Strawberry Blonde Box Dyes at a glance.
Clairol Nice’ n Easy Crème, Light Auburn
- A hair dye with multi-lights that gives your hair shimmering tones.
- Includes a nourishing, smoothing hair conditioner.
- Smells good without any ammonia.
- Best suited to dark blonde and brown hair.
“This colour dye gave my hair a rich, lustrous soft pink color. The shade is very natural and my hair felt softer and totally conditioned afterwards too.”
“This colour hair dye is absolutely on point! It has given me back my natural strawberry tones that I’d been missing. It’s the perfect product to brighten dull hair.”
“This is fab, a natural colour which is neither too ashy or too red.”
We used this color on honey-coloured hair so we had warm tones already. It was a shade darker because of this, but if you have lightened or hair that never been dyed (virgin hair), you’ll definitely be able to achieve the color on the box.
It left our hair feeling super duper soft and smelling amazing too. As it has red tones, it could become brassy, so make sure you have a good purple toning shampoo and conditioner to hand.
Best for: Golden blonde-red lusciousness.
How to get strawberry blonde hair at home.
So, ready to transform into a stunning strawberry blonde beauty? It’s time to play hairdresser!
Before we embark on this glamorous journey, there are a few things you need to know.
Achieving this look isn’t a case of just slapping on some paint and calling it a day.
It’s a process that involves lightening, toning, and dyeing your hair. But don’t worry, we’ve got you covered with a simple, step-by-step guide.
The game plan:
- Lighten your hair with bleach
- Tone it to the right shade
- Dye it to perfection
You can choose to mix two hair colors or go for an off-the-shelf box dye. Either way, we’re here to guide you every step of the way.
Step 1: Lighten Your Hair
Before you even think about applying that delicious strawberry blonde color, you need to lighten your hair with bleach.
If your hair is already light-colored, you might be able to skip this step. But, if your hair is dark, then hold on to your hairbrush because we’re going on a bleach adventure!
Step 2: Preparing the Bleach
Next, let’s prepare the bleach. No, not the kind you use for laundry, but hair bleach. Follow these steps:
- Gather your materials. You’ll need hair bleach and developer, which you can find at your local beauty store or online.
- Mix the bleach and developer. Follow the instructions on the bleach package to make sure you get the right mix.
Step 3: Applying the Bleach
Now comes the fun part! Applying the bleach. Here’s how:
- Divide your hair into sections. This will make the application process easier and more thorough.
- Apply the bleach. Start from the ends of your hair and work your way up to the roots. This way, the ends, which are usually darker, get more time with the bleach.
Step 4: Wait For It…
Once the bleach is applied, you need to wait. This is the perfect time to catch up on your favorite TV show or book. But remember:
Keep an eye on the clock! Over-bleached hair can be brittle and damaged, so make sure to follow the recommended time on the bleach’s packaging.
Step 5: Rinse and Tone
When time’s up, rinse out the bleach and apply a toner. This will neutralize any unwanted tones in your hair and prepare it for the strawberry blonde color.
Step 6: Dyeing Your Hair
Now, the moment you’ve been waiting for! It’s time to add that beautiful strawberry blonde color. But how?
- Choose your dye. You can either mix two colors or use an off-the-shelf box dye.
- Apply the dye. Just like with the bleach, divide your hair into sections and start from the ends, working your way up to the roots.
Step 7: The Final Rinse
Wait for the dye to develop according to the package instructions, then rinse, condition, and admire your new strawberry blonde locks!
Remember, practice makes perfect. If you don’t get it right the first time, don’t fret. You’ll be a hair-dyeing master in no time!
Watch and learn: How to dye your hair strawberry blonde color at home.
Here’s a great video tutorial that guides you through how to DIY your hair beautiful strawberry blonde hair color at home.
Top hair dyeing tips!
- Rush it, the best results won’t happen if you’re slapping the formula on.
- Leave the mixture in too long – it’s tempting as you think it will last longer but you may go too dark and end up auburn.
- Forget to do a strand test to check what color you’ll end up, and a patch test to check for any allergies.
- Follow the instructions TO THE LETTER that come with the hair dye of your choice.
- Pay particularly attention to the development time, every kit is different.
- Section your hair to make applying the dye more precise.
- Check on a section at intervals to see if it’s developing at the right color for you.
How can I look after my strawberry blonde color?
Don’t wash your hair until at least 48 hours later and try to wash it no more than once a week if you can get away with it.
When you do, make sure you wash only with a shampoo and conditioner specially formulated to tone your hair.
Which shampoo is right for you depends on whether your color has more red or golden undertones.
Once a week, give your hair a deep conditioning mask to replenish your hair’s moisture and elasticity.
And don’t forget to follow all of our top colored hair care tips in How to look after colored hair can keep it luscious for longer.
Strawberry Blonde Hair FAQs
Is strawberry blonde hair red or blonde?
Strawberry is a shade that dances between blonde and red hair and is not quite one or the other – it’s the best of both.
It has the softness of red hair with the sun-kissed lightness that comes from flaxen (pale naturally blonde color), making it anything from red to gold to amber in different lights.
The best way to describe it is the color of strawberry ice cream!
What’s the difference between strawberry blonde and ginger?
There are many color variations on the strawberry blonde hair color chart. The most popular right now are:
Ginger hair a natural red hair shade with more orange tones to it than soft strawberry.
Copper hair is also a variation on ginger that’s more metallic and orange-red in tone.
Strawberry blonde is a lighter, pinker color that can be a natural red color with strawberry blonde highlights.
What’s the difference between strawberry blonde and rose gold?
So what’s the deal with rose gold? Is it not just an updated version? A little bit yes.
Rose gold is part of the edgy new metallic colors like copper, gold and silver that are all the rage in everything from hair color to homewares.
Rose gold is more ashy, metallic and pink than more natural looking strawberry so it’s more suited to those with darker tones.
Strawberry is a warmer shade of red so pale skin, light eyes and light hair peeps will suit it best.
Auburn is another similar shade from the red hair family. But it’s usually darker and more light brown-red and with less of a blonde tone than strawberry.
What skin tones does strawberry blonde look good on?
This is a warm blonde color with a golden-reddish blonde tint. If you have fair skin, blue or green eyes and freckles, it’ll look awesome on you.
That’s not to say cooler tones can’t carry it off. Here you’ll need to pick a deeper, cooler hue like an ashy rose gold to make it shine.
Use our checklist below to find out your undertones!
If you have cool undertones:
- You have a fair skin tone and a complexion that’s pink or pale.
- You will blush really easily!
- Jewel tones and pastel colors look great on you.
- Yellow is a color that you’d never wear as it washes you out.
- You have blue veins and not green veins in your wrist.
- Pearls and silver jewellery are very flattering on you.
If you have warm undertones:
- You have red or golden shades in your natural hair color.
- Your skin tone and complexion is golden, tan or olive.
- You might have and used to have freckles.
- You have green color not blue color veins in your wrist.
- You suit wearing bright colors or richer shades better.
- Gold jewellery looks awesome on you.
Will strawberry blonde suit me?
You can also find out which hair color suits you by taking our quiz! Just answer a few quick questions to find out what hair colors most suit you!
What hair color suits me?
Does strawberry blonde hair color fade quickly?
Whatever color hair dye you pick, know that the color will fade fairly fast.
This is because the pinks and reds are formed of red color molecules – the largest molecules of all hair dyes.
They slide out of your hair in time and with washing, so you’ll need to give your hair extra TLC and use specially formulated products to keep those slippery suckers in.
We hope you’ve enjoyed learning about this sexy shade and have seen how it can look on different skin tones.
If you’re looking for a new way to spice up your hair, this is color that’s definitely worth considering. It’s also an easy way to change things up if you are getting bored with your current style.
If you don’t want a drastic change or just need something new for the summer season, then strawberry blonde hair may be just what you’ve been looking for.